SIC - Società Impianti Calce

Search

SIC's History

you are in: home > The Company > SIC's History

We are proud to represent the future of a tradition that has gone through three centuries of the lime history.

lavorazione calce 1840 - 1880  Antonio Ghigliazza in Finale Ligure,Italy, a small fishing village on the Ligurian coast, where it was practiced by ancient tradition, the art of lime production, with kilns manually fed with wood, starting the production that was exported in wooden barrels loaded on boats.

1880 - 1900   Giacomo and Angelo Ghigliazza transfer the lime production in the nearby limestone quarry where they constructed two Mix fire kilns. The quarry is destined to become for more than a half century the main production centre for the company.

1900 - 1920  The children of Giacomo and Angelo, using the first experiences made in neighbouring France, developed the first and second kiln with coal combustion. The kilns are made of concrete and have a round section and a production of 20 T / D.

1920 - 1930  Under the supervision of Arturo Ghigliazza appointed the first team for the research and development of new technologies to be applied to lime production and quarrying.

1933 -  They applied for the first time the vacuum system with Venturi pipe called “Tyfoon” to the existing kilns with coal combustion, this increased the kilns production up to 30 T / D.

They also created the first hydrator with casing made entirely of concrete.

This innovations success is such that other lime producers request that they apply these technologies in their factories.

1935 -  Arturo Ghigliazza moved to Milan, a large industrial centre in northern Italy, to better follow the new technologies development and further their technical assistance work for the family company, he started project activities and lime plants construction for other producers .

1936 -  Two kilns were supplied and installed in Ethiopia. This was the first foreign project carried out by the company.

1945 -  At the end of the second world war, Arturo Ghigliazza, supported by his nephew, Franco Accinelli, in plant project and construction activities for the lime industry, activities that have now become a successful industry.

1945 -  The family business is transformed into a limited company under the name of Brothers Ghigliazza SpA, meanwhile, the activities are developed in three production units (Finale Ligure, Genoa, Lucca) .

1948 -  The first kiln with fuel oil is constructed in Merano, Italy.

1954 - 1955  Natural gas arrives in Italy. The first kilns are converted from coal to natural gas. These are the first steps that will lead to the birth of CBK kilns.

1964 -  The first kiln of 200 T/D. Is constructed under license of the American company Union Carbide (UCC) with fuel oil combustion, under the supervision of Franco Accinelli at the Brothers Ghigliazza SpA, a kiln of considerable size for that time.

1980 -  Following the oil crisis, new technologies for the combustion and the heat distribution in the lime kilns are developed that will lead to the acquisition of three industrial patents.

1981 -  Using the experiences made in the management for over 15 years with the UCC kiln and applying the patents relating to pulverized fuel combustion, they develope the HPK kilns that allow the use of low-value fuels reduce energy consumption by more than 20%.

1982 -  Paolo Accinelli, after several years apprenticeship at the different production group units, was appointed vice president of Brothers Ghigliazza SpA and began to work at Società Impianti Calce Ltd in the project and testing department.

1984 -  To complete the range of well-established single-shaft kiln technology, began the collaboration with a well-known international partner for developement of double shaft kilns.

1990 -  SIC supply the first PCC plant in Mexico.

1991 -  Completed the study and testing phase, began the production of the micronizer type “S” mills.

1995 -  On behalf of the national petrochemical Company ENI, one of the largest production plants for milk of lime for chemical use with a slaking capacity of 30 tons of CaO/h. was developed.

1997 -  Società Impianti Calce LTD first, in the project field of lime equipment, obtained ISO 9001 certification.

1998 -   The mills type "S" technology development led to the creation of the air separators type "HPS".
This completes a revolution that leads to a new way to project the hydration plants.

2002 -  For the first time in Europe on behalf of Ciment Français / Italcementi, a complete line with modern equipment was created for the production of hydraulic lime for bio-building.

2004 -  A new technical sales office was opened in Donietz, Ukraine to enter a market in the Russian speaking countries.

2007 -  A new office headquarters is constructed in Milan.

2009 -  From the joint venture with foreign partner is born the subsidiary company, Steelworks Ltd. responsible to carry out the fabrication and assembly of steel components. This new initiative will help to offer to the customers turnkey projects at a reduced cost for steel components, it offers the advantage to the customer a quality guarantee and one responsibility for the entire project.

Only a continuous technological development and our way of doing business can ensure a success for so long.